Monday, October 6, 2008

beautiful october

Dear Readers,

Sorry for my lapse in blogging. I've been traveling! My two-week "Herbstferien" or fall break, began last Friday on the Day of German Unity (October 3rd). No one really celebrated except that we got the day off. The night before, I made my first trip to Heidelberg, which is ridiculously close to Mannheim. You can even take a street car there! I went with two other American Fulbrighters and after enjoying the local Neuwein on the train, we wandered the charming, cobblestone streets of Heidelberg. We also ate some delicious Chinese food at "China Restaurant Asia," which, despite its name, served authentic and tasty dishes. But I digress. Heidelberg is wonderful. It rained a little while we were there, but the clouds broke just before sunset and I got some breathtaking views. Have a look from across the river, see the castle on the left:


Another view down the river:

The sunset:
I also went to Oktoberfest! I visited an American friend who's been living in Germany for a few years now with her German boyfriend. We had a ton of fun, though the first two days were cold and rainy and we couldn't get into any of the tents. On Sunday we had a great time, however, and all I can say about Oktoberfest is that it is everything you imagine it to be... overly German, huge, crazy, expensive... and more.

Coming up next: a full length tour of the Heidelberg castle and a trip to Vienna! I'll keep you all posted!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I adore your Heidelberg Pictures! It is such a storybook German city. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Vienna. Glad you're having fun!

Matthew Loar said...

Heidelberg looks like a magical city -- the colors are so vibrant and the buildings look so historic, it must have felt a little surreal. Reminds me a bit of Italy.

So I'm curious whether or not you're actually doing anything aside from traveling and vacationing. Sounds like your life is pretty relaxing and easy-going, not to much beery and delicious. Love the posts and the pictures. You (and Dane) must come to Oxford when you get a chance!

Best,
Matthew