Saturday, September 27, 2008

Recap

Okay, so here are my chronicles from the month of September.

1. I went to an orientation outside Cologne. It was held at a former monastery/cathedral called Altenberg. Here are some choice pictures:



According to the information I picked up, the cathedral was constructed after 1259 as replacement for a Romanesque building dating from 1145. The monastic community dates to 1133! These days, the church is used for both Catholic and protestant worship and the abbey no longer houses Cistercians, but travelers and youth groups and Fulbrighters. The town itself is dwarfed by the huge church, but the grounds remain tidy and peaceful.

2. I visited an American family last weekend and we did a little day trip on the Mosel River. Here are some more pictures:

This is Burg Eltz. Never conquered! In its 33rd generation of primogeniture inheritance:


Here is a picture from Bad Bernkastel. The buildings are dated on their eaves and some are as old as 1583! Look at how this Weinstube slants:

I'm moving to my new apartment today! I'll take some picture of my area and my place once I'm settled!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Everything looks fantastic in Germany -- so beautiful! I'm glad to hear you're doing well, and I'm looking forward to keeping up with you on your blog!

Love,

Taylor

Matthew Loar said...

Doh! Taylor beat me to the commenting...though I guess that's to be expected since she was the one who forwarded your email on to me. Nevertheless, I have claimed the distinction as the first official "follower" of your blog. I know it sounds cultish (though I'm sure you are a deity to some), but trust me when I say it's not. Probably.

Old German churches remind me of old Oxford churches. We should get together and share architecture! Could be fun.

I will probably start up German classes sometime in the next week, and then we can have secret conversations in German! Hooray!

Love the blog -- keep the updates coming!

Oxonian Love,
Matthew

Julia said...

I'm so glad to hear you're getting settled in Germany - it looks gorgeous, though I'm a sucker for mountains and castles!