Tuesday, October 14, 2008

more catch-up, please

Hello!

Thanks for checking my blog even though I update it rather sporadically. I finally went inside the Heidelberg Castle and visited Chrissy's host family in Stuttgart and Heilbronn. I also made a small day trip to Speyer, which is home to a beautiful Romanesque cathedral.
Some more shots of Heidelberg:


Here are some from Speyer! The cathedral dates from the 1000s. It is also home to the tombs of Salian emperors, circa. the 11th and 12th centuries. The crypt itself is huge--the largest Romanesque crypt in the world--and was described as "the most sublime monument on German ground" by Reinhold Schneider, a poet.
The crypt, so wonderfully solemn and spooky:
A view of the cathedral from the street. It's giant.
A monument/tomb at the entrance of the church:

Finally, some shots from Stuttgart: here, the castle and fountain

A lovely farmer's market view from outside the Markthalle in downtown:
The Haeffner brothers, Felix and Tobias, in a tent at the Stuttgart fest. They were all about their cool cameras. I'll bother them for pictures and, with any luck, post some ones far superior to my blurry shots.
Well, those are all the ones worth posting, really. I'll throw in a view from our kitchen window:
Instead of the original plans to visit Vienna, my friends and I are going to Dijon, France tomorrow morning at about 6am. I'll be back Friday evening and, I hope, ready to get back into the daily grind of things--my ever-stressful 12 hours a week.

au revoir!

4 comments:

Julia said...

Beautiful pictures - I'm so jealous but am glad you're enjoying yourself!

Unknown said...

I miss my brothers :( They are adorable.

Matthew Loar said...

The view from your kitchen window beats the view from my kitchen window. Living in a basement flat and all, all I see is the ground. That, and the fence keeping intruders out. And when people walk by, I see their feet and lower legs. It's exciting.

Taylor is listening to an interview with Sarah Palin right now, so I may have to go vomit. Hope Germany is still treating you well! You should be happy to know that I am taking German, so maybe we'll finally have something to talk about the next time we meet.

Ich spreche, also bin ich! Booyah!

J. H. said...

Schoene Bilder, aber wo sind die deutsche Maedels? Unglaubliche schoene Maedels, bitte!