Saturday, May 9, 2009

in for the long haul...

I think I realized that my stay in Germany was more than a semester abroad when I needed to buy a new thing of laundry detergent. For whatever reason, I cannot remember the last time I needed to replace a container of detergent. I'm pretty sure I survived 4 years of college on one, maybe two bottles of Gain. Buying replacement laundry supplies really hit home-- I actually LIVE here. It's more than just vacation.

On the other hand, I spent last weekend crafting a paper chain for the number of days I have left in Germany (current count: 53). The Fulbright Orientation packet served its end purpose very nicely. And I realized, I'm really almost done here. Almost, but not completely.

In all, I'm ready to be home. It's just started raining again here and I'm settling down for another long, uneventful Saturday. The Mannheim Marathon is tonight and I hope to watch some of it with my friend Ella.

I need to buy: a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen, but I'm too cheap to pay for any of them. I've become unusually freckly and I'm worried about all my uneven tanning and sun-damaged skin for all the photo-ops this summer.

No desire to leave the house in the rain. I'm going to bake some peanut butter and chocolate sandwich cookies, I think, and listen to more NPR. Today I nearly aced the last two weeks of NY Times Health Quizzes. Yeah, I read the entire Health section most days. Oh, free time...

Dane and Jim come in a week! yay!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you're right-- we kept using that leftover detergent for years. haha.